Monday, November 9, 2009

Turkey Day Placemats

I made a fun Thanksgiving craft with the kids I thought I'd share. It's really easy and even a novice sewer could make it.




Below are the measurements I used but you can adjust for the size you want to make.

1- 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 inch square of beige or white fabric
2- 5 1/2 x 7 1/2 pieces of turkey fabric (sides)
2- 3 1/2 x 17 1/2 pieces of turkey fabric (top & bottom)
1 - 13 1/2 x 17 1/2 piece of turkey fabric (back)
1 - 13 /14 x 17 1/4 fusible fleece
Package of fabric pens (I used crayola)
Thread to match

**I used a 1/4" seam allowance



-Outline your childs hand with fabric pen and let them decorate
-Heat set square according to fabric pens you use (I ironed the back of my square for four minutes on dry setting)
-Sew each side piece to decorated fabric square. Press seam allowance toward turkey fabric. This will make your middle piece.

*Note: If you are using a directional fabric like I did make sure you don't sew the design upside down!

-Square up your fabric (make sure everything is even)
-Sew top and bottom pieces to middle piece.

-Square up fabric again.
-Iron fusible fleece to back of top piece using a steam iron

-Pin front and back pieces right sides together

-Sew all around leaving at least a 4" opening on the bottom.
-Turn right side out pointing out corners with chopstick or something pointy (don't press too hard or you might make hole in fabric.
-Top stitch opening closed and continue all around the placemat
-Stitch in the ditch around middle fabric square so it won't get wonky after you dry it.

-Scotchgard if desired (remember kids will be using this and this will help it from getting stained.

I have a lot of extra fabric so I may have the kids decorate more and make some hot pads and coasters.

*If you are not a sewer you can still do this project by taking the decorated square, iron some Heat n Bond on the back of it and then adhere it to a store bought placemat.

Enjoy!
Melissa

No comments: