Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Another Thanksgiving project

I made these simple Thanksgiving napkin holders this afternoon. The kids tried to help but it was kind of hard with the cutting so I let them cut their own leaves out of felt and will place those randomly on the table.

For this project you need a real leaf or leaf template (I'm sure you can find a bunch online), a rectangle of brown and tan felt (only 29 cents each!), water soluble pen, ribbon, small sharp scissors and contrasting thread.


The kids found this great leaf for our template.


I placed it on the felt and traced it with a water soluble pen and cut out. I then spritzed it lightly with water to get rid of the water lines.




I used contrasting thread to stitch the veins of the leaf. If you don't have a sewing machine you could easily sew by hand with embroidery thread.


I sewed the center of the ribbon to the back of the leaf. Ribbon piece was approx. 11 inches. You can make it shorter or longer depending on how much overlap you want.


You're done! I think this would be cute to also do for Christmas using holly or mistletoe as a template.


No comments: